Fire Damage Losses and How to Protect Yourself
Experiencing a fire loss at your home or business can be very difficult. Anything that endangers your home, business, or family life is something most people can’t imagine or find hard to understand.
Fortunately, some of the most common causes of fires within your home can be avoided by taking simple measures to avoid having to go through an experience like this that can be so devastating.
Here are some of the main issues you need to watch out for and how you can prevent them:
Cooking in the kitchen causes about half of the fires within a home. Once a grease fire begins, it’s very hard to stop the spread without hurting yourself or others. Don’t walk away from food especially when using grease or oil. It’s important to turn off the source of heat and know where your fire extinguisher is. Any portable appliances like toasters will need to be cooled before returning them to their cabinets.
Issues with heating in the home mostly come from portable methods, such as space heaters. Make sure you read all the instructions included and you know how to use the controls. It will be important to move any curtains or other flammable fabrics away from these types of items and never leave the house with them running.
Electrical problems can occur for numerous reasons. Have a professional electrician come over to check wiring in your home and make sure that it isn’t outdated or damaged in any way. This can also occur during a new appliance installation, storm, or power outages. Only plug in the recommended number of wires into a single socket and keep loose wires organized. Any electrical problems need to be dealt with promptly by a licensed professional.
Smoking is not something you want to do within your home. Cigarettes can cause damage in more ways than one, but the most common theme is the residual slow burn of the end of the cigarette that isn’t fully put out. Always make sure that your fire alarms are up to date, fully functional, and the batteries are tested. Any flammable materials or textiles can go up in flames in a matter of minutes.
Candles left unattended can be a huge risk for your home and family. Remember to always put candles out before you leave. Make sure to keep candles high out of the reach of children or pets who may knock them over and far away from any flammable materials in your home.
In any of these situations, you need to call a professional who can walk you through their experience. This is not something that you need to handle on your own. Our team here at SERVPRO of South Austin is here to help with any questions or concerns you might have.